HOME > Dental School > History of Osaka University Dental School

History of Osaka University Dental School

1926
  Dental Division was established in Osaka Prefectural Medical School.
1931
  0saka Prefectural Medical School became School of Medicine Osaka Imperial University, and the Department of Dentistry was established in the following year.
1947
  0saka Imperial University was renamed“Osaka University"
1950
  The Dental Department was established in the School of Medicine.
1951
Apr.
School of Dentistry consisted in 6 departments ( Oral Anatomy , Oral Pathology , Dental Materials, Operative Dentistry, Oral Surgery and Prosthodontics ) with 30 students . Professor Shigeie Yumikura became the Dean.
1952
Apr.
Three departments of Oral Physiology, Pharmacology and Orthodontics were added ( a total of 9 departments).
1953
Apr.

Aug.
Three departments of Preventive Dentistry, Endodontics and the Second Prosthodontics were founded (a total of l2 departments).
Dental Hospital was established.
Clinics for Operative Dentistry, Endodontics, Oral Surgery, Prosthodontics, Orthodontics and Oral Hygiene with 27 beds were established.
Professor Yasushi Watanabe was selected as Directorin- Chief of the Dental Hospital.
1954
Mar.
The first 10 students graduated with DDS degree.
The first part of the hospital construction started.
1955
Jul.
The 30-year special postgraduate program was launched.
The Second Department of Oral Surgery was founded (a total of 13 departments and 8 clinics).
1956
Apr.
The section C of the Hospital building was constructed(2,943 ㎡ ).
1959
Apr.
Department of Oral Biochemistry was founded(a total of 14 departments).
1960
Mar.
Apr.
Construction of the Section B of the Hospital building was completed (3,311㎡ ).
EnroIlment of student increased to 40.
The Graduate School of Dentistry for Ph.D course was founded (31 students).
Dental Technician School was added to the School of Dentistry.
1962
Apr.
Pharmacy Division was founded.
1963
Apr.
Department of Oral Biochemistry and Oral Hygiene were renamed to Department of Biochemistry and Preventive Dentistry, respectively.
1964
Apr.
Department of Oral Microbiology was added(a total of 15 departments).
1966
Apr.

May.
Enrollment of student increased to 60.
Number of beds increased to 40.
Construction of the Section A of the Hospital building was completed(5,034㎡ ).
1969
Apr.
The Second Department of the Oral Anatomy was founded (a total of 16 departments).
1970
Mar.
Extension of the Section B of the Hospital was completed (561㎡ ).
1972
May.
Department of Oral Radiology was founded(a total of 17 departments).
Clinic for Oral Radiology was founded (a total of 9 clinics).
1973
Apr.
The Division for Maxillofacial Disorders was founded.
1974
Nov.
The Central Research Laboratory was founded.
1975
Oct.
Clinic for Pediatric Dentistry was added(a total of 10 clinics).
1976
May.
Department of Pediatric Dentistry was added(a total of 18 departments).
Division of Nursing was established in the Dental Hospital.
1978
Oct.
Clinical Laboratory was founded.
1981
Apr.
Department of Dental Anesthesia was added(a total of 19 departments).
Student enrollment increased to 80.
1982
Apr.
Clinic for Dental Anesthesia was added(a total of 11 clinics).
1983
Aug.
The School and the Hospital moved to the new buiidings at Suita campus.
1984
Feb.
The extension of the section A of the building was completed(715㎡ ).
1987
Dec.
Further extending of the section A of the building was finished(89㎡ ).
1988
Apr.
Division of Special Care Dentistry was founded in the Hospital.
1989
Mar.
The extension of the section A building was finished(252㎡ ).
The Facility for the High Dose Radiation Therapy was completed(292㎡ ).
1990
Apr.
The number of student enrollment decreased to 65.
1996
Oct.
Completion of MRI-CT building(225㎡ ).
1997
Apr.
Division for Interdisciplinary Dentistry was newlynominated.
1999
Jun.
The vice-director of the Dental Hospital was founded.
2000
Apr.
Following an establishment of the Graduate School, all the Departments in the Dental School were grouped into the two joint organizations in the Graduate School.
I. Course for Integrated Oral Sciences and Stomatology(with 31 graduate students)
     Division of Pathogenesis and Control of Oral Diseases
     Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration
     Division of Functional Oral Neuroscience
     Division of Diagnostic Dentistry(Cooperating Department)
     Division of Craniofacial Development Biology (Affiliating Division)

II. Course for Molecular Oral Biology and Dentistry (with 24 graduate students)
     Division of Oral Infections and Disease Control
     Division of Oral Biology and Disease Control
     Division of Oral Developmental Biology
     Division of Community Dentistry and Informatics (Cooperating Department)
Following an establishment of the Graduate School, all the Departments in the Dental School were recategorized into 15 Departments in the Graduate School.
2001
Apr.
Eleven clinical Departments were re-grouped into three Clinicai Departments including Dental Diseases, Division for Tooth and Supporting Tissues Disease and Division of Prosthodontics and Orthodontics and Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Disease.
2004
Apr.
National University Corporation Osaka University was established.
2006
Dec.
Construction of the Section E of the Hospital building was completed (4,813㎡ ).
Construction of the Section F of the School building was completed (5,854㎡ ).
2007
Feb.
Apr.
Hospital Safety Management Section was founded.
General Dentistry Treatment Center was founded.
2009
Aug.
Research Center for Frontier Oral Bioscience was founded.
2010
Apr.
Center for Translational Dental Research was founded.